Friday, November 2, 2012

"Oh Good. You're Handicapped."


A couple of months ago, I woke up on a Saturday morning. I stumbled out of bed (and yes, I mean literally stumbled since I'm missing a key component to not stumbling)  and put on my leg. When I went to go brush my teeth I noticed that my toothbrush of all things was missing. How it disappeared from the night before, I do not know, but anyways, I didn't have a toothbrush. 

I decided it would be completely disgusting to not brush my teeth, so I decided to make the 9:00am trip to Kroger to get a toothbrush, and some other random things. I got into my car and drove to the store, where I pulled into a handicapped space. I opened up my door and put my prosthesis out of my car before I realized I hadn't put up my tag yet. But before I could do so, I saw a lady march over to my car. 
"Excuse me." she said rather rudely "Do you know what the minimum fine is for parking in a handicapped spot?" 
I was in no mood for this, so I decided to let her humor me. "No I can't say I do. What is it?"
"It's 2,000 dollars. I was just on a jury case for this exact situation, but the man claimed he had put it up but it wasn't visible, and he had to pay the fine of 2,000 dollars. So since you are obviously fully capable, you need to go park somewhere else and leave this space open for someone who actually needs it." 
I was speechless. Seriously. How rude could this lady be? You're really gonna come up to a random stranger in the parking lot  and tell them off? And by the way, in the state of Texas, the minimum fine for parking in a handicap spot is $200. Anyway, I stayed calm and collected. I took my tag and clicked it up on my rearview mirror. A this point, the poor woman looked so confused. 
And to make things about 1,000 times better she goes "How did you get one of those?" 
I was wearing jeans on this day, and I had my prototype leg on, so I still had the pole and the clear socket going on. As I pulled up the leg on my jeans, her eyes got HUGE. Any normal person at this point would apologize right? 
Haha. I wish. 
Her response? "Oh good! You're handicapped!" 
"Yeah. Good." I say, as I get out of my car and go inside the store.

Thank y'all for reading this post! I hope you enjoy all the other things that happen in my crazy life!!

Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment