Thursday, November 1, 2012

First Post!

Hello to the cyber world. I decided to start this blog because some of you need to smile. As you saw from the title of this blog, I am in fact an amputee. Heres how it all went down:

When I was 9 months old I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis, or NF for short. Throughout my entire life, I had casts, braces, illizarovs (quite painful. It's a device that has rings, pins and screws going all the way through my leg.), more casts, rods....so by the time I was 10, my leg healed. But then it buggered up again a year later, and my leg broke once again. I can still remember my doctor telling me I had two choices. I could have yet another illizarov, which may or may not work, or I could amputate. So I decided to amputate my leg when I was 11 years old.

It was a tough decision to make. I mean, come on, I've had this attached to me for my entire life. But now that I do have this amputation, I have never looked back. I can now keep up with my classmates physically, I can sort of run (I hate running. I mean come on, why would you do something so stupid?), and I can walk pretty much without a limp. (I still have a slight one, but it's not that noticeable) I am the mascot for my school, which means I dress up in the giant eagle costume and run around at football games.

I wanted to let all of you know about my daily life. Almost every day, something odd happens to me, and it makes for hilarious stories and situations. So please, come back everyday and read about my daily life. It can get pretty crazy.

1 comment: