Thursday, April 4, 2013

BANG! (Now Updated!!)

Back in the glory days of middle school I decided it would be a good idea to play softball. I played it when I was younger before my amputation, so I thought it would be an easy transition back into the game.

I couldn't be more wrong. 

It was pretty tough, and I was a terrible player.  So it was rare that I ever got to play, and when I did, it was always pretty pathetic. I did like the girls on the team, and they were kind to me despite my un-athletic-ness. 

One Saturday, we were in a tournament game, and we were about to squash the other team and win the entire tournament. My coach finally decided to let me play!!  (Granted, we were 15 points ahead, but....that's the beside the point._ 

If you ever watch baseball or softball, you know that when a player goes up to bat, he/she either hits the plate or their shoes with the bat. They basically do something that defines them, or makes them a memorable player.  (At least that's what I had been told)  Back then, I had a hard plastic leg. So one of my friends on the team, Morgan, (the same girl who stole my leg in the last post!) told me that I should go up to the plate and hit my leg with my bat as hard as I could. I laughed, but didn't want to in fear of breaking my prosthesis, but then the entire team backed her up and threatened to beat me up....or something like that.


When it was finally my turn to bat, I went up to the plate, took my bat, and BANG!!! I hit my prosthesis as hard as I could. The pitcher was taken back by this. She had to step back and take a moment to pull herself together and get back in focus. It must not have worked, because she threw the ball right over my head.

"Hmuelk" the umpire grunted (which means ball, by the way.)

Second pitch- again, I'm a lousy player, so I actually missed this one.

Somehow, it ended up being three balls, and two strikes. This would be the final pitch that I would be thrown. I would get a walk, strike out, or (like this would happen) hit the ball. I was kind of nervous, but the pitcher was even more flustered. She threw the ball and it was coming down really low. I knew I wasn't going to hit it because I would have gotten a strike, so I would get to walk. Instead I hear another BANG!!!!

I look down, and the ball has landed a couple of feet in front of me. I knew I hadn't swung the bat, so what was that sound?

Then it occurred to me. I had been hit on my prosthetic leg. In this case, that is, if you are hit, you get a walk.

The entire softball team started to laugh. The parents were dying, and my coach was standing there, bewildered as I was. I threw dan my bat and jogged to first base, laughing the entire time.

Now I had a heavy limp at the time, so as I limped off, the other team must have thought I had been seriously injured. The other coach called a timeout, came and got my coach, and went to the umpire. I learned later that the other coach had been worried that I had sprained my leg, or broken it or something. My coach just laughed and let them know that I'm an amputee.

That is one of the best memories of middle school.


I hope that you enjoyed this post!! Now, please do this for me....

I would love some feedback!! Please, comment and tell me what you think about the blog, or if you have any requests or questions!!

Newest Update:

I have gotten a few requests for a picture of me in my softball days. Here you are!!



No comments:

Post a Comment