Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mafia


This past summer I went to Europe with a group from my school. There were a lot of other students from all over the U.S there as well, so it makes perfect sense to transport everyone via bus. Anyway, the second day of the trip we were going from the Caen/Normandy area to Paris. This is after a nine hour plane ride, three hours on the bus from Heathrow to the seaside, a four hour ferry ride to France, and an hour bus ride to our hotel. The night before we had gotten about five hours of sleep, so we were delirious. After a morning/early afternoon of awesome (Europe as a whole is another story….one word. amazing.) we were tired, but with the adrenaline running, we weren't tired enough to take a nap. Our group was sitting toward the back of the bus  with another group from a church. They convinced people in our group to play the game Mafia with them. Now, if you don't know the game of Mafia, here's how it works:

Everyone gets a card, and depending on which card you get, that is the role that you are playing. Basically, if you are in the mafia, you all choose someone to "kill." The police then accuse someone else in the group of committing the crime, and the one accused has to present a case as to why they are innocent. 

Anyway someone was "murdered", and I was accused of being the "murderer." Wen I was asked to make my case as to why I was not the murderer, my brain didn't really compute with my mouth. I didn't think about the fact that I did not know half the people we were playing with, and therefore they do not know that I have one leg. 

"Well it couldn't have been me, because I can't get away because I have one leg!!"  The response I got was amazing. The guy who was leading this game just looks at me and says "No you don't." 

……..

I wasn't sure how to respond, so I reverted to the days of Kindergarten and said "Yes I do."

"That's a sick joke. You don't have one leg." 
At this point, my friends start sticking up for me. One of my friends said "Dude. She really does have one leg." 

His response?

"Oh yeah? Prove it." 

I love a challenge.
I rolled up my jeans on my left leg, pushed the button that releases my residual limb from the socket, and pulled it off. And this next part was actually an accident. 

Somehow when I pulled off the leg, it got out of my hand, and onto the floor right in front of the guy who challenged me. 

Now this guy is very tall, tough-guy, and athletic. As soon as my leg was off and right at his feet, he freaked out.  Not only was this guy like "OH MY GOSH!!!" but he started crying. 

I actually made a guy cry just by throwing my leg at him. I felt bad at first, but not for long. You can imagine this guy crying at the sight of a prosthetic leg…..I mean, come on….needless to say, this is one of the best pranks/things I have pulled. 

1 comment: